Thursday, October 24, 2013

Interview: Bones


We got the privlege to sit down and talk with artist on the rise, Bones. We touched on some of his recent work like Cracker, and what to expect on his next project PaidProgramming. We also diverted a bit away from Hip-Hop and got into some of his favorite Post-Hardcore bands that heavily influenced projects such as Cracker.  More after the Jump

First and foremost, where exactly are you originally from?
I was born in Oakland, California. When I was 7 I moved to Michigan, this shitty like redneck town called Howell, Michigan. It's like 20 minutes away from Detroit. And then when I was like 16, I left school and I came about here, In LA.

Between Detroit and LA, where you draw more influence from? Or do you have your own category for your music?
I don't know, I really like Marvin Gaye a lot. I really like Marvin Gaye. I like Dallas Green, I like old acoustic stuff. 

I can definitely tell that in tapes like Scumbag, where you're doing more singing and vocalizing
Hell yeah, it's like that old Myspace emo shit.

Yeah man, right before this I was listening to Johnny Craig
Aye, aye, I just saw Johnny Craig last night.

Word, I saw your brother tweet about that, how was that show?
It was tight as fuck, I never seen him and I've been fucking with him since 2005.

I use to be a big Emarosa fan and Dance Gavin Dance
Fuck yeah, Emarosa rules. There was barely anyone. There was probably like only 60 people there, and like I was stoked on that.

What? Yo that's dope
He deserves more people 

With that in mind, what other genres, beyond Hip-Hop, helped shape your sound?
I love Jazz, I love like smooth weather channel music, like elevator shit. I love all music man, there's really nothing that I hate, I love some country shit.

Who's your dream collaboration, outside of Hip-Hop?
Probably Dallas Green, he's got a band called City and Colour. He use to be the singer on Alexisonfire.

I remember him on Alexisonfire, I use to listen to them in high school. All that post-hardcore, emo, hot topic music
Word, I love all that shit

Word, what is TeamSESH?
SESH is just some shit me and my friends started doing. I mean I started releasing like my tapes, like last year under SESH. I just started putting that logo on shit. Certain producers, Na$ty Matt asked me "let me be on SESH". It kinda just became a thing, now there's a bunch of producers and singers.

I love all the collaborations with like Na$ty, and all the producers.
Word

But Cracker man, Cracker was unlike anything I've ever heard. What inspired all the screaming? 
I always loved screaming music, like La Dispute. Honestly me and [Xavier] Wulf one night, we were recording, and he likes screamo shit too. I was like lets do a screaming thing, and Moshpit was the first thing we did.

Moshpit was one of my favorites off that tape
I love that song.

What are some of your favorite songs to perform live?
I like Water, that's a real calm fucking song. All the songs I've done with Wulf I love performing those, cause people just go fucking wild. Shit I don't know, I wanna start performing some of my softer ones. All the shows we did in California and Texas, when we did that little tour thing, I did mostly hard Rap songs, I wanna do more singing shit live.

Haha have you ever got blood on the mic?
YEAH! From my hand, and Ethel's hand. I felt like, I mean I know he's a clean guy, and  I don't have anything wrong with me, but I definitely felt weird about both our blood being on something.

When can we expect Bones in the East coast? 
Soon, soon. 

If you could be in a mosh pit with other 5 people, dead or alive, who would they be?
Marvin Gaye, I'd love to see what Marvin Gaye would do in a mosh pit. Probably Pauly Shore, Macaulay Culkin, Frank Sinatra, and probably Jim Lang, the guy who does all the music for Hey Arnold!

I forgot to ask earlier, but your videos, where did that concept come from?
What you mean, what concept? 

Like the old VHS look
That's like a camera, I've been using that camera since I was like 8. I would just film dumb shit, like skate stuff 

It really is an old camera, it's not post-edited?
Nah, I don't edit my shit

That's dope, it makes it so much more ill
Yeah cause everyone tries to do the VHS shit now, and it looks terrible. Final Cut shit.

I know you and your brother are pretty close, what role does he play with your music?
I live in his house, like I live with him. He plays the biggest role, he's the reason I've been able to do this shit. Honestly I don't know if I'd be making this much music, I know I wouldn't if I had to get a job and do all the normal life shit. I'm just lucky he's been able to let me do this. I love my brother.

So what can we expect with PaidProgramming?
I made a few beats on it.

Yeah? You're doing more production?
Yeah, it basically sounds like late night television, like the really old local access channels.

I expect some dope ass samples
It's really pretty, I like it a lot.

But man thanks again for this
No doubt.

You gotta come through soon, I got some Blue Dream
I'm gonna be in New York real soon, I'll bring the backwoods. 












No comments:

Post a Comment