Monday, February 11, 2013

Rich Hil - SYLDD (Review)


I first heard Ricky on one of his dozens of early Kid Cudi collaborations. A few fallouts, rehab trips, and label drops, and here we have his long awaited abum, Support Your Local Drug Dealer. 


Fresh off his Warner Bros. signing, Rich Hil decided to skip all the label procedures and release SYLDD free online. The album stays true to his usual hippy sound, it's almost like a grunge version of Hip-Hop. I've been a Hil fan, and I've definitely watched as his career developed, but this album just falls short. The highlight of the album is his collaboration with The Weeknd, who is rumored to be the reason he even got his Warner Bros. deal, but it's flat after that. The songs have no progression, it's almost as if you're listening to 10 remixes of the same song. The production does hold the album together, but it really isn't enough for me to recommend this, which is why I'm giving it the Not stamp of disapproval. I'll still be on the look out for more releases from Ricky the self-proclaimed hippy, I just hope this is only stepping stone to better releases. 



No comments:

Post a Comment